Monday, January 26, 2015

Leather Library Postcard, Arcola, IL



Leather postcards are unusual. Leather library postcards are even more so. Out of just under 14,000 library postcards listed on eBay, I could find only six that were made out of leather. I'm fortunate to have a few examples of these postcards. The most unusual of the ones I have is a postcard depicting the Carnegie Library in Arcola, IL (shown above). It includes color lettering which is rare. The postcard actually went through the mail on January 3, 1907. Arcola received a $10,000 grant for a public library building from Carnegie, and the building was dedicated on October 18, 1905. The public library in Arcola still occupies the building. I have a previous post about a leather postcard in my collection for Sedalia, MO. That postcard also includes some color.

2 comments:

Nann said...

I have one leather library postcard, uncolored. "Congressional Library 1907 Washington D.C." It was mailed to Miss Helen Arnesen, 1005 Wisconsin, Racine, WI, on April 7, 1907. I paid $3 at a Kenosha estate sale.

Larry T. Nix said...

Nann, you got a nice buy at $3.