Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bookmobileana

National Bookmobile Day is next Wednesday, April 13, so I thought I would take this opportunity to highlight some bookmobileana. The item shown above is a paper cutout assembled as a bookmobile.  It was given out to children by the Winding Rivers Library System in La Crosse, Wisconsin several years ago. I have a "Tribute to the Bookmobile" on my Library History Buff website which features several of the items in my collection of bookmobileana.  I especially like the 1952 Maryland State Library brochure.  I collect postcards that picture bookmobiles and one of my favorites  shows people using a bookmobile that is part of a county library service demonstration in Kentucky. ALA's 1937 publication on "Book Automobiles" is a valued part of my library history book collection. Also of note is my comprehensive collection of bookmobiles on postage stamps. It would be nice to add this historic book wagon which is for sale on eBay to my collection, but it is a little out of my price range.

No comments: